Are You Considering Breeding Your Dog?
Before you breed your dog, there are some important things to consider: Why Breed?
You should only be breeding to better the GSD breed.
“Breeding a litter of puppies is not about making dollars!
It really only gives some recompense to the money you will outlay over the lifetime of your bitches”
What is a Responsible breeder?
- Responsible breeders believe that each new litter they breed should be an improvement on the parents and the breed
Responsible breeders give careful consideration to health issues, temperament and the appearance of the dog
Responsible breeders plan ahead of each mating to ensure that each puppy produced will be bred in the best possible environment
Responsible breeders accept responsibility for a puppy which they have bred, and make themselves available to give advice, help and information to new owners
The GSDCV have produced an education pamphlet that details much of what you need to consider in breeding with your animal.
Read the pamphlet here
So you have decided to mate your bitch…..
- She has successfully passed through all the GSDCA schemes – microchipped, “A” Stamp for Hips, “Z” Stamp for Elbows and successfully Breed Survey Classifed.
- You have chosen a suitable Stud dog.
Stud Dogs FAQs
What Paperwork should the owner of the Stud Dog be able to show you?
- The Stud Dog’s Victorian Canine Association (VCA) Registration Certificate
- Breed Survey Certificate
- “A” and “Z” Stamp Certificate for Hips and Elbows
- Haemophilia Certificate if the dog is imported or is from an imported Dam
What questions do I ask the owner of the Stud Dog?
1. Is the Stud Dog owner happy to accept your bitch to his/her dog?
2. Is a veterinary check for breeding soundness required e.g. a Swab Certificate?
3. Do you require progesterone test/s prior to mating?
4. Is the dog available about the approximate time your bitch should be ready to mate?
5. What is the stud fee? How much? When and how paid?
OR Is there a service fee? How much? When do I pay it? When would the remainder of the Stud fee be paid and how much will it be? What form of payment is acceptable?
6. If I pay a Service fee and my bitch fails to conceive do I pay another Service fee when I return to use the dog?
7. What is considered a litter? 2 live puppies? 3 live puppies? Or?
8. What happens if my bitch fails to conceive? Do you offer a return for this bitch? Or can I bring another bitch? Or is there any other alternative?
9. If my bitch fails to conceive how long do I have to use the Stud fee?
10. Are there any circumstances when the stud fee or Service fee would be refunded?
application/pdf iconReproduction in the Bitch. Dr k Hedberg 2007